Can Oracle do a query plan like this?

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 17:36:33 GMT

If I have an index on (a,b) and a has relatively low cardinality is there any way to convince Oracle to use this index when I do a query "WHERE b=:p"? That is to repeatedly try the various values of a looking for this value of b.

I don't want to index just b because I want this design to work when we partition the table on a. In the case of a partitioned table with a local index on a,b would Oracle then be willing to use the index?

Assume each value of a has more than enough records to make it worthwhile to do an index scan over a full table scan.

--
greg Received on Sat Feb 05 2000 - 11:36:33 CST