Re: Why hot backups?

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:11:43 +0000

In article <389B7AE0.5972CBB0_at_erols.com>, Max La Menace <fournier.toms_at_erols.com> writes
>Thanks for your answers, but I was wondering about the syntax. To recover
>in this case, I restored the files, mounted (the database), recover until
>time using bakcup controlfile, alter database open reset logs.
>
>How do you do essentially the same thing with a hot backup? I felt support
>didn't want to go thru it with me because I obviously had not done it
>before...

That sounds like a hot-or-cold backup - hot backup means that the database was not switched off during the file backup process. Cold backup has the database switched off during the backup. An export/import backup is where the export command is used to create a .dmp file of the entire database including schema rebuild SQL, etc.

Andy
--
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request