Re: Security problem

From: Scott Kronheim <skronheim_at_synertechsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 13:11:28 -0500

Try this, I've used it successfully before: 1. Grant all of the database object privileges required to run your application to a role.

2.  Revoke every user's explicit privileges to those database objects.
3.  Grant the new role to each user as a non-default role.
4.  Each time your application connects to the database, issue a "SET
ROLE <new role name>" command.

The privileges assigned to a non-default role are not utilized by a user's session until the SET ROLE command is issued. Therefore, when a user logs into the database using anything other than your application, they won't have privileges to do anything with your application objects. Also, the SET ROLE command has a session-level scope, so when your application disconnects from the database, the privileges disappear.

Scott Kronheim