Re: Help Shell Script Woes

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 16:19:41 GMT

Van,

yong321's suggestion is correct. When you execute a shell script from the command line, it spawns a sub-shell. Any environment variables set inside that sub-shell are not passed back to the calling shell. Unless you precede your call with a "." which will read the sub-shell's variables back into the calling or parent shell.

HTH,
Roy

In article <05f9b720.5e01fa7a_at_usw-ex0106-047.remarq.com>,   Van Messner <vmessnerNOvmSPAM_at_discovernet.com.invalid> wrote:
> Thank you, I am executing it. This is my first crack at a shell
> script and I don't even know what "sourcing it" means. I'll keep
> reading and experimenting.
>
> Van
>
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 04 2000 - 10:19:41 CST