Re: Help - Deleted ORA file and no Recent Backup

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 15:55:39 GMT

shutdown down your database, startup mount, then issue the command alter database datafile 'deleted_datafile' offline drop;

this will remove the file entry from the data dictionary. You have already lost all the data stored in that file, but at least you don't have to reinstall Oracle and rebuild everything else.

HTH,
Roy

In article <389a2f55.0_at_shiva.ukisp.net>,   "Andrew McKelvie" <amckelvie_at_fsbdial.co.uk> wrote:
> We did something silly today with our Oracle 7.3 server and need some
help
> fixing it.
>
> We deleted one of the user .ORA files because it had grown too large,
900 MB
> instead of 50 MB, and we wanted to rebuild it afresh. Unfortunatly we
now
> can't start the instance even although all three of the services are
running
> OK. We think that Oracle is looking for the .ORA file that we deleted
and
> because it is missing Oracle thinks that the database is corrupt.
>
> Is there anyway of fixing this other than completely re-installing
Oracle
> and recreating the users and the tables within the instance please let
me
> know?
>
> TIA
>
> Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 04 2000 - 09:55:39 CST