Storage space needed for a numeric(15)

From: François de Rochebrune <fderochebrune_at_free.fr>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 13:29:13 GMT

Hi,

I am planning to create a table using several numeric values from 0 to 10 power 15.
The table will contain millions of records and I am trying to evaluate the disk space needed to store the whole database. My question is :
How much space will a numeric(15) field occupy ? Will each value occupy 15 bytes ?
Or is there a binary conversion applied so the space could be 7 bytes ? (10 power 15 is approx. 2 power 52, which could fit in 52 bits - less than 7 bytes)

Thanks for the answer here or at FdeRoche_at_aol.com Received on Fri Feb 04 2000 - 07:29:13 CST