Re: help please SGA not initilized ?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 07:41:34 -0500

Parvinder Singh wrote:

> Hi all
> I was fiddling around with initorcl.ora ..like i changed the
> db_block_buffers parameter from 200 to 800 ...i restarted my database
> worked fine but then i changed it from 800 to 2000 ..and now i restarted
> my comp and my database too it gave me an error in starting the SQL plus
> stating the following error
>
> ORA-01034 - Oracle not available
> ORA-09243 - smsget: error attaching to SGA
> OSD-0401: invalid SGA - SGA not initialized
>
> though i have reverted back my changes still it is giving me the same
> error
>
> kindly help ...i cant think if installing it again....
>
> Regards
> ~Parvinder

Once that happens the first time you may have to do a "shutdown abort" before you can start the instance again (after you've reverted to the previous settings, of course).

Beyond that, your initial problem may be that the settings you changed may have increased the size of the shared memory segment to a size greater than that which is permitted by the SHMMAX kernal setting. If that is the case the sysadmin can increase the size of that parameter (as long as it is not already at the maximum setting). Once that is done the kernal will have to be rebuilt and the system must be rebooted to bring in the new kernal but then you should be good to go. Received on Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:41:34 CST