Re: Statistics on Indexes

From: Keith Jamieson <jamiesonk_at_phoenix.ie>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:15:33 -0000

Yes thats excatly what I meant. I was confused by a report I got back from an implementation manager. A DBA told him that he had to update statistics on the index.

The default parameter for the optimizer is choose. As far as I am aware, no statistics were generated on any tables or indexes. However, the report I got back was that after updating statistics, the query went from 50+sec to 3 sec. It looks like somebody has been playing with things they don't understand. Grrr

Jaap W. van Dijk wrote in message ...
> "Indexes using statistics" is a meaningless phrase, maybe you mean "the
>optimizer uses the statistics on the indexes". If yours is really a rule
>based optimizer then the optimizer will not look at any statistics and
>therefore will not be affected by them. So if the optimizer IS affected by
>them, the only conclusion that is left is that the optimizer is cost based.
>
>Check the parameter 'optimizer_mode' in the view v$parameter which can have
>values 'RULE', meaning just that, and 'CHOOSE', meaning rule based if none
>of the involved tables and indexes has values in the statistics fields,
>otherwise cost based. In the latter case default values for statistics are
>assumed for tables and indexes without them.
>
>Jaap.
>
>Keith Jamieson heeft geschreven in bericht
<87c65d$lpf$1_at_kermit.esat.net>...