Re: file size limitations?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:44:13 GMT

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:51:08 -0500, "Jim Day" <jday_at_fslso.com> wrote:

>in size. Is there a size limitation for any single *.dbf Oracle file on
>Solaris 2.6 (I thought I read once there was a 2GB file size limitation)?

Probably yes. Most older UNIX implementations have that limit. Dunno if Sol2.6 does.

>If so, 1) can someone point me to documentation on this restriction,

man ioctl(), read, follow the Related fields to write().

> and 2)
>what are my options?

  1. Add more files of <2Gb size to your tablespace. You can add many,many more without hitting problems. The maximum capacity of your tablespace will be the sum of the sizes of all these files.
  2. Upgrade the OS and use larger files. You need to export/import the tablespace to move it to a larger file.

Pick the one that makes sense to you.

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam