Re: Backup on Unix and restore on NT?

From: Liz Reen <lreen_at_myremarq.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:47:53 -0500

In article <874nsp$rm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, you say...
> Thanks for that - However it's not exactly what I'm lookimg for.
> Let me explain myself more clearly.
>
> Nomally, if I take a backup onto tape on Unix (say using tar or
> cpio or dd), I can easily restore invividual files from the tapes
> back onto the unix box.

There are no native utilities which will allow you to create a tape on UNIX and read it on NT. There may be some third party utilities which might let you do this.

> However, suppose I need to transfer some files (non Oracle files, just
> plain old ascii files) from a Unix box to an NT box - How can I do this.
> Assume that both the unix and NT servers are completely stand alone,
> with no network connections to each other (or to the internet).

You are SOL. You have to get some sort of network connection going.

> How can I transfer data from one machine to the oter.- Both machines
> have 4mm DAT drive backup units.

They may have the same tape drives, but that is meaningless. All people have mouths, but it does not mean a Russian speaker can understand a Chinese speaker.

Liz
--
My real address is L I Z R a t A O L d o t C O M Received on Thu Feb 03 2000 - 13:47:53 CST