Re: Very Large Table extending after mass deletes

From: Jane Schrock <jschrock_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:34:57 -0600

If I were you, I would change it to a varchar2 if it doesn't need to be a LONG. Longs have several restrictions against them. One is on import, Oracle commits after every row whether or not you have commit=Y and buffer=to somesize. I am currently importing my large table into a test database and it has been running, last I checked, for 36 hours. Some other restrictions are you can't use a long in SELECT lists of CREATE TABLE ... AS SELECT statements and you can't use a long in SELECT lists in subqueries in INSERT statements. Check out Chapter 2, section Datatypes, on the Generic Documentation CD.

Jane