Re: Intel NT or Alpha OpenVMS ?

From: <lechkung_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 03:52:46 GMT

Juan,

Definitely go VMS, it's probably the best OS out there. However, what one of the replies to your message is true, VMS is a limited OS with a smaller pool of experienced users than for Unix. I'm on VMS and I'm upgrading from v7.3.2.3 to v8.0.5.1. Note that it isn't Oracle 8i! Oracle has be promising to deliver 8i but there have been delays (8051 was delay approx. 6 months, or was it longer?).

Oracle will be releasing (aledged) 8i in spring with a new process of producing that code within 90 days of the Compaq Unix release. We'll see if they come through.

Anyhow, VMS is here to stay, and I think there will always be Oracle running on it (there is a real dedicated user base). If you're not in a hurry for all the bells and whistles right away, VMS is what you want.

Greg Lechkun
lechkung_at_dteenergy.com

In article <8791ks$chm$1_at_diana.bcn.ttd.net>,   "Juan Carlos Rodríguez" <juancarlos.rodriguez_at_terrassa.org> wrote:
> Hi !,
>
> We have an Oracle Database on an Alpha with OpenVMS o.s. and currently
there
> are 100 concurrent users accessing the database.
> This year we are increasing the number of users to 200-300 and we are
> planning to adquire new hardware to increase power to support this
growth.
> We need a High Availability system, and we plan to use Oracle Standby.
>
> Here's the dilemma: Intel WindowsNT or Alpha OpenVMS ?
>
> Is reliable an Oracle system with 300 concurrent users on a WindowsNT
o.s?

> Thanks you very much.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 21:52:46 CST