Re: How to Lock an Index

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 03:21:37 GMT

Ted Persky <TPersky_at_sempra.com> writes:

> When I tried to do an "alter index" to increase MAXEXTENTS by ten, it
> returned an ORA-00054 error, that the index was busy and that I had issued
> the command with NOWAIT.

I have a related question. I've gotten the same situation and usually I'm able to just repeatedly try the alter command until it works. But it worries me since my application doesn't do any LOCK TABLEs or any large updates. Does this indicate I probably have some update or insert statement that is doing a full table lock instead of a row lock? If so how do I detect and work around this problem?

--
greg Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 21:21:37 CST