How to Lock an Index

From: Ted Persky <TPersky_at_sempra.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 13:27:00 -0800

Hi gurus:

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

This morning an index was getting close to its MAXEXTENTS value. When I tried to do an "alter index" to increase MAXEXTENTS by ten, it returned an ORA-00054 error, that the index was busy and that I had issued the command with NOWAIT. I couldn't find a "WAIT" option to the "alter index" command.

Since I didn't see a "lock index" command, I manually locked its associated table in exclusive mode. Still, I got the ORA-00054 error. What process could be accessing the index if I've got the table in an exclusive lock? What is the best way to lock the index, so that I can alter the MAXEXTENTS?

Sincerely,

Ted Persky
TPersky_at_sempra.com Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 15:27:00 CST