automate "grant select" on view when it's recreated?

From: <chrisoc_at_ans.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 20:16:57 GMT

When dealing with a 3rd-party app that alters tables and drops/recreates its views under-the-covers, what is the best way to automate granting select on those views to another user each time? The views are constructed from dozens of base tables. They are split and even renamed. The high-level views have stable names.

Ideally I would like something like a trigger on the DDL statment "create view VIEW_A".
What I don't like is a script run from cron to refresh the grants. It can never match the
timing perfectly of the view rebuild.
The Oracle version is 8.0.4.

We don't have source on the application. The table and view changes are done, of course, by the app_owner_id. We can log in as that app_owner_id and do limited things to its schemal. Select privs on its views are needed by an id we added ourselves, to do some reporting.

Use of a row-update trigger on VIEW_A would be wasteful. We need to fire on the DDL not the DML.

Seeking good ideas.

Thank you,
Chris O'Connor

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 14:16:57 CST