Re: oracle startup error

From: Anil Kumar <aneela1975_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:37:29 GMT

I found the error text and solution for the problem in Metalink..

ORA-05901: sms2sg:Database does not fit in two shared memory segments // *Cause: Redo block size is too big or number of database buffers is too high.
// *Action: Reconfigure the UNIX kernel to have bigger segments, or reduce the log buffer size or reduce the number of database blocks.

The way to resolve the ora-5901 is to decrease the parameters db_block_buffers, shared_pool, sort_area_size OR change the kernel parameters back to their original settings. This will allow for Oracle to fit the SGA into the shared memory available. Please refer to the following article and if you have any qestions post them to Unix Installations/OS: RDBMS forum

And the missing message is a bug.
ORA-5901 has no text [BUG:368863]

Regards
Anil

In article <Pine.HPP.3.96.1000201234126.1584A-100000_at_wppkh04q>,   Manjula Gopalakrishnan <manjula_at_americasm01.nt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to start up the oracle database we are getting the
> following error message.
>
> SVRMGR> startup
> ORA-05901: Message 5901 not found; product=RDBMS; facility=ORA
> Additional information: 4
>
> The oracle is installed on HPUX 10.2m/c.
> Oracle version is 7.3.4.
>
> We could'nt get the error message for error no 5901.
> Does this "Additional information" has any significance and if yes
> how to utilise the same ?
>
> thanks,
> Manjula.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 11:37:29 CST