Re: Intel NT or Alpha OpenVMS ?

From: Stephen Tenberg <STenberg_at_fcs-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:31:13 -0500

Although nothing can touch the legendary VMS for reliability (I have a couple VMS systems that haven't crashed in 8 years), I moved away from VMS after its future became cloudy. As I am sure you have encountered, even when calling Oracle for tech support, its getting harder and harder to find any VMS experts.

Also, since there is a declining base of VMS Oracle users, any problems you have are going to be harder to solve since there will be a shrinking base of users experiencing the same issue.

As far as NT, I know its sacrilege to say so - but yes, I have found it very reliable and stable. The key is to use certified server hardware, lots of memory, and to lock down the system so some geek doesn't stroll into the computer room and install, say, an office suite or something.

My Oracle servers running in those situations do not crash, ever, although I do have them rebooted weekly as a precaution.

Steve