RE: Webdb 2.1 per LINUX

From: Frederic Bidon <fbi_at_mobilix.dk>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:44:11 +0100

>>I saw that Oracle released Web Db 2.1 X Linux. Does someone know
>>something about this product ?
>>Is it very useful ? Is its installation fluid ?
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Fra

I've installed it on NT. The installation was not fluid at all as I intende= d
to use a remote database running on a UNIX box. Dunnow about the Linux packaging, but the NT one really gave me some headache (add to follow the manual installation procedure provided in the release notes, the installer simply messed up).

Once I've made it up and running I was a little bit disappointed. It is really an awesome product to look at (I mean, the PL/SQL techniques used by Oracle in it are really amazing). But not that awesome when it comes to provide a practical intranet site.
It seems to be designed to mimic a kind of MyYahoo site, provides a lot of cool buttons and folders and so on.
That's tue that you can bring up a very smart home page with it (search engine, embedded security, personalized folders and so on...). But configuring it (users, pages, templates, reports) is a bit awkward (my opinion). True, it has been designed for people who don't like to code, and to that extent it is successful.
On the other hand, I was so frustrated that I couldn't easily port my existing pages (coded in Perl+DBI or PL/SQL+OAS) but through all those clumsy menus, that I threw away this fancy product. I would prefer a less complicated thingie, doing things in a simpler way, but that I can harness.

Overall, what I disliked was that installing webdb adds A LOT of packages (youød better think about your SYSTEM tbs !) and stresses your database i= n a
different way that it used to ! So plugging in Web DB into an existing production database to "web-enable" it is likely to change a bit its usual behaviour and sizing (shared_pool...).

But nevertheless, try it, because the PL/SQL work is worth it, then tell me what you think about it.

Regards,

Frederic

 Your subscription is set to individual email delivery

I saw that Oracle released Web Db 2.1 X Linux. Does someone know something about this product ?
Is it very useful ? Is its installation fluid ? Thanks in advance.
Fra

 Deja.com: Before you buy.
 http://www.deja.com/

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/  Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 04:44:11 CST