Performance Questions Re-Indexes

From: Keith Jamieson <jamiesonk_at_phoenix.ie>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:53:42 -0000

I have a rapidly growing table at a customer site(Currently contains 1.2 million rows). Some indexes were created for this table. When they were put on initially the query times returned were acceptable, but as the table has grown the query times have got worse. I am also aware of some coding issues which need to be resolved, but initially I would just like the benefits of this groups
experience.

Q1) Am I correct in assuming that the Indexes should be recreated on a regular basis?

Q2) If we switched to the cost based optimiser, could I assume that as long as the statistics were regenerated on a regular basis, then the performance would be better than the rule based optimiser. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 03:53:42 CST