Oracle 8i Spatial Problems

From: Carsten Kleiner <ck_at_informatik.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 10:09:22 +0100

Hi,

we are experimenting a lot with Oracle 8i Spatial. We are experiencing problems answering point-in-polygon queries with both SDO_RELATE and SDO_GEOM.RELATE (object-relational spatial data model). The problem is that for certain points (no matter if you store them as points or as tiny rectangles) there is no polygon found that includes the point, but the whole space is covered by polygons. =

Specifically there are certain polygons where one or more horizontal lines of points within that object are reported to have empty intersection. If we move those points (whose coordinates are 9 digit integers) by 1 (virtually nothing) we obtain much fewer errors. It might have something to do with the spatial index (maybe the points are exactly on tile borders ?).

Has anyone experienced similar problems (maybe even solved those) ? -- =

Carsten Kleiner

Institut für Informatik Tel. +49-511-762-4960 FG Datenbanken + Informationssysteme Fax: +49-511-762-4961

Lange Laube 22                       Mail: ck_at_informatik.uni-hannover.de
D-30159 Hannover Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 03:09:22 CST