Re: tablespace management in data warehouse

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_totalise.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 08:25:01 +0000

jeremycdba_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm looking for information on defining tablespaces for partitions in a
> data warehouse. For example if I'm partitioning a table by month what's
> the best way to predefine the tablespaces for each monthly partition.
> I'm considering defining each tablespace with a small datafile size and
> using autoextend to grow the datafile if required. Should I define all
> tablespaces for the next couple of years or should I define them
> dynamically i.e at load time??
>
> Any information appreciated especially documents, articles or white
> papers.
>
> I'm using Oracle 8i on Unix Solaris.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Jeremy

Theres a rather useful book written by a couple of Oracle employees (Lilian Hobbs and Susan Hillson) called "Oracle 8i Data Warehousing" ISBN 1555582052 that goes through all these issues. Also Ralf Kimballs books talk about these issues from a general RDBMS point.

Martin Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 02:25:01 CST