Re: Comparing ORACLE and MS SQL Server

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 01:13:20 -0500

"Berger, Gene" wrote:

> >> Sure. Check out the TPC benchmarks for OLTP and OLAP. <www.tpc.org>
>
> I like Oracle very much but this benchmark is totally skewed
> in Oracle's databases favor. Microsoft also has benchmarks
> skewed in their favor. Informix has benchmarks skewed
> in their favor.

        What is the basis for your statement about the TPC benchmarks that "this benchmark is totally skewed in Oracle's databases favor." ?

        The TPC is an independent body which designs the benchmark. Each vendor who publishes results creates a supertuned hardware and software configuration and publishes the configuration information along with their
certified test results.

        I will readily concede that the average installation will realize performance comparable to the benchmarks only in those months that have six Sundays, but they do provide a level playing field.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 00:13:20 CST