Re: SMON and Coalesce of Free Extents

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 01:09:05 GMT

Hello Gene,

The current "wisdom" is to set PCTINCREASE to 0 on all tablespaces, and to use a fixed extent size policy for each tablespace, except SYSTEM. If you have access to MetaLink, search for the paper called "How to stop defragmenting and start living" for some more of the rationale. There is also a tip on my web site (1st URL below) on the matter of planning extents.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/