Re: Multiple concurrent instances (redux)

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:58:47 GMT

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 05:54:22 -0800, david.lane_at_mantech.com <david.laneNOdaSPAM_at_mantech.com.invalid> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>OK, brass tacks time. I have seen us discuss back and forth the
>issue of multiple instances running on the same box. I have seen
>two different answers and they contradict each
>other, so - for the record:
>
>Can you have multiple concurrent instance running on the same box
>WITHOUT the parallel option? If you can, what do you need to do
>to make it happen (examples please in detail)
>in which files?
>
>This is a $300K question. If I need the parrallel option, it
>means I cannot use LINUX since there is no parallel option for
>LINUX. If I do need it and I don't order it, it could mean my
>job. Is there an OCP DBA out there or someone that has practical
>experience with this that can answer the question?
>
>Thanks,
>
>DAVID
Here's the 2 cent answer.

Yes, multiple instances can run on the same box without parallel option. All that's required is for you to

  1. Build the new instance ... use db assistant for this, or manually do it with new env vars, svrmgrl + scripts.
  2. Alter the listener.ora file so your single listener can handle connections for all instances.
  3. Start the new instance, and bounce the listener.

THAT'S IT. I have 4 instances running on a single CPU PII-350, 256MB RAM, with RH6.0. It's run for 4 months without a problem (usually around 10 concurrent users per instance - not exactly a bleeding edge global system, but you get the idea)!

Ciao
Fuzzy