Re: rename datafile without shutting down

From: Christ Follower <christ_follower_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:52:05 GMT

In article <38903747_at_pink.one.net.au>,
  "Ian" <ian blah hot-oracle.com> wrote:
> Have you tried setting the tablespace to be read only?, that will at
least
> prevent Oracle writting to the datafile.
>
> --
> Now with more than 100 Oracle, Java and Javascript lessons and tips
> http://www.hot-oracle.com

I can't do that because the application has to "write" to the database. I was trying to "fool" Oracle to write to redo logs and spare the data file while I was doing my business. I noticed that a few posters mentioned that Oracle still writes to datafile even in backup mode. I can't be sure if this is true. If a process is writing to a file, the file remains open. Then, any O.S. copy may fail because O.S. also has memory buffer handling file I/O! I believe Oracle process stops writing to datafile if a tablespace is in backup mode. Unfortunately, there's no way to rename a datafile while it is still online. This fact answered my original question: Q: Is is possible to rename a file without down time? A: No. Sad. It seems Oracle has almost everything needed there but logically the engine does not allow that.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jan 28 2000 - 10:52:05 CST