Re: Sending E-mails and pages from Oracle

From: DriftWood <drift_wood_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:16:10 GMT

In article <s920cm457q5183_at_corp.supernews.com>,   "Marc" <mlatham23_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to be able to send e-mails and pages from my Oracle 8.1.5
> database. Is this only available from OEM or can it be done from a
PL*SQL
> package.

It can be done from PL/SQL in one of several ways: 1) write an external procedure or "call out" that calls an external program or OS API to do the work.
2) write a program to poll the RDBMS looking in a queue table for messages to send. You populate the table from PL/SQL and let the monitor program do the work for you.
3) Use advanced queuing to fire off a message that would alert another process to send the messages for you.
4) Use a DBMS pipe to send the message to an external program that will do the work.
5) If you have Oracle's messaging (InterOffice) system installed, there is a PL/SQL interface to it. Use that to directly send the mail.

There are probably as many more ways to do it as you care to think up. Each may vary a bit depending on the OS you are running the RDBMS on.

-cheers
  DW

"It is a kind of good deed to say well; and yet words are not deeds.   -William Shakespeare"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jan 28 2000 - 07:16:10 CST