RE: What system privs do I need to do my DBA thing on an SGI Irix box?

From: Frederic Bidon <fbi_at_mobilix.dk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:23:17 +0100

You only need that root runs a root.sh script at install time and configure properly your init script to start/shut the database at boot/shutdown time.

Otherwise you only need to be oracle (even not if you're using OEM, but it is good wisdom that the DBA can be Oracle on the machine). Otherwise any dba group user should be enough, the more if you configure SYSOPER SYSDBA password in the oracle password file.

By the way : ask your sysadmin to let the /etc/oratab owned by oracle, this can be also convenient.

Frederic.