Re: SQL vs. Oracle

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:34:30 +0800

Daniel wrote:

> I use both... have major issues with both... Oracle is indeed more robust,
> but at least SQL 7.0 knows to use an existing index when it optimizes a
> query. My last project for Oracle 8 included a database which was set to
> default for cost optimization. There were instances where a simple 2 table
> inner join refused to use indexes, performed a full table scan and needed a
> hint to work properly. I'm keeping my customers away from 8 until I can
> count on the optimizer.
>
> Daniel
> Austin, TX
>
> > But don't worry: as soon as M$ releases SQL 10.0, all that will be
> > fixed and ORACLE V7 will face some real competition. In the NT
> > platform.
> >

> > Cheers
> > Nuno Souto
> > nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
> > http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html

What makes using an index so good ?

Sometimes using an index is good - sometimes its bad.

If you want to use the index in almost all situations, make your optimiser rule based or first rows based.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Jan 27 2000 - 08:34:30 CST