"Any" Syntax?

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:43:59 -0500

A developer gave me a query to tune up today using a syntax I'm not familiar with.
On top of that, it doesn't appear to work right either. However, it produces no error
message. Given 2 tables like
create table A( a number);
create table B( b number), with some values in them, the query did something like this
(among other things)..

select a from A
where a != any
(select b from B);

It would appear to be an attempt to strip out values that appear in B, sort of a substitute
for "not in". But as I said, it actually doesn't strip out anything, but doesn't generate
any errors.

So, is this some ANSI thing that compiles but doesn't work? Or maybe it's intended for
another use and isn't being implemented right in this example?

Any comments appreciated,
Thanks,
Dc. Received on Thu Jan 27 2000 - 14:43:59 CST