Re: rename datafile without shutting down

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:13:51 GMT

> Thank you for the reply. I know I can bring the tablespace offline and
> rename the file. However, this would make the tablespace unavailable
> for the application during the operation. That was the motivation that
> I tried to put the tablespace into backup mode (hoping Oracle would do
> everything with redo logs until I am done with it). I just wonder if it
> is ever possible to rename a file without interrupting the application.
> I also wonder if the errors I got was a complication from the backup
> mode. Comments?

You can not rename a datafile while the tablespace is online. One, you have to move the datafile first and then rename it in the database. Just renaming the datafile does not move it. It has to be moved with OS commands. Second, with the tablespace being online, the application is trying to access the tablespace (and it's datafiles). If the datafile is "in transit" from one location to another, then how can the application access it? This much you must have known because you tried to put the tablespace in backup mode, "hoping Oracle would do everything with redo logs until I am done with it". But this brings up the final point. When a tablespace is in backup mode, the RDMBS still writes to the datafiles! Putting the tablespace in backup mode just stops the SCN from being updated in the file header. But data is still being applied to the datafiles. Therefore, you can't move the datafile while it's tablespace is in backup mode.

HTH,
Brian Received on Thu Jan 27 2000 - 08:13:51 CST