Re: maximum initial extent size

From: David F. Newman <buzzwang_at_localhost.localdomain>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 03:27:22 GMT

dmausner_at_ameritech.x.net (dave mausner) writes:

> you are both right. you can create a file larger than 2Gb in solaris 2.6,
> but the oracle 8.0 port to solaris has a 2Gb limit. i found out when an
> autoextend database file failed to extend past 2Gb, even though i was
> --
> dave mausner

A raw data file? You weren't using the Veritas Asynch IO were you? I've never had a problem with largefiles on Solaris until I started using Veritas. Their file system has to be created with the largiles option, which isn't available in the GUI. You have to issue mkfs -F vxfs -o largefiles ... blah blah blah on the command line in order to use large files. Seems kind of silly to me, but because I know that the underlying OS handles large files fine, and because I know that Oracle handles large files fine, I'd have to say that your problem was probably with the Veritas product. (If you were using Veritas).

--
David F. Newman
Oracle DBA