Re: 2 databases 2 listeners 1 oracle_home

From: dave mausner <dmausner_at_ameritech.x.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 02:25:29 GMT

pete_at_InternetVail.Com.dontsendspam (Peter Buckley) wrote in <388f2d37.1342299524_at_news.uswest.net>:

>In short my Internet firewall can be set to allow "inbound" TCP
>requests to my Oracle server (10.0.1.48) on port 1521. When Oracle
>reassings the connection port to say......1566 the firewall prevents
>the session from starting up....

it is normal under TCP to use a "well-known" port number, say 1521, to identify the remote agent, in this case oracle listener; and for the reverse traffic to be assigned to a "random" port number back to the client. that is also how FTP and telnet work.

so your firewall can be configured to limit inbound traffic TO the server to just the well-known ports you intend to serve: like 1521/tcp orcacle; at the same time, the firewall would generally permit outbound traffic FROM the server (from inside the firewall, where the good guys live) using any port numbers.

that is a very normal situation.

if your net-ops object, it is feasible to restrict the listener to a single outbound port number; but since i have never needed to do this for any customer, i hope another group lurker will follow up here. --
dave mausner Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 20:25:29 CST