Re: SQL vs. Oracle

From: Sergei Kuchin <skuchin_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:04:20 -0600

> > > SQL 7 compares favorably to Oracle 7.0 in both speed and ease of
> > > use/programming.

Here's one feature of Transact-SQL that is especially easy to use: LACK of error handling, exception handling. By default, if a SQL statement blows up, control flow doesn't stop, unless an if() statement like this is put right after the SQL statement:

   SQL
   if(@@error<>0)
   begin
     bla bla bla...
   end

It reduces the amount of source code drastically and results in a smooth and short development cycle. Just kidding :-)

Also, lack of built-in SQL functions with a variable number of arguments, like greatest(), least(), decode(). Don't tell me that the CASE statement covers all of that.

PL/SQL, compared to Transact-SQL is something vs. nothing.

Here's one more advanced feature of MS SQL 7.0: advanced locking, like (NOLOCK), (PAGELOCK), (ROWLOCK). ROWLOCK was introduced into Sybase like servers just about one year back. In Oracle row locks have been since Oracle 3.

Often, Micro-SQL 7.0 tells you that you've been selected as a victim of a deadlock and the session is kaputsky.

Sometimes, it says that "not enough system memory to process your query", on a 2 Gig machine with 5 active users.

I like the syntax of the super-advanced query optimizer hints, e.g.

    left outer LOOP join
    inner HASH join
    inner MERGE join

So, the query has to be modified to specify a different execution plan. Hints are keywords, not comments.

One more thing: LACK of MINUS and INTERSECT operators. Of course, they can be implemented as outer joins, no doubt about that. However, sometimes MINUS works 3-5 times faster than you could be with the best outer join query plan.

The list could be continued and couple of miles down [the list] it will say: as for MS SQL 7.0 GUI, it looks decent.

Sergei Kuchin