Re: Some basic advise please

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:44:16 +0800

Paul Gallimore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can somebody advise me on a project that we plan to undertake.
>
> My company intends to build a web site with a huge database at the back end.
> That is, it is our intention to create a database that is capable of storing
> records for a huge number of site visitors; say, 30,000,000 people - but who
> really knows.
>
> For each user/visitor we anticipate requiring no more than 10 information
> fields. The database then needs to be interactive with the web site's html
> pages. Meaning that people must be able to insert information from their
> browsers whilst others must then be able to retrieve the same info from
> dynamically created html pages.
>
> As an example of the kind of thing I have in mind: Users from all over the
> world must be able to store information about themselves, but a surfer from
> Atlanta must be able to then come to our site and be able to discover from
> the database the average shoe-size of Londoners and the names of all those
> who take a size 11 shoe and live in Wembley. When he makes the enquiry from
> our web site concerning the shoe sizes he then gets a few pages created for
> him listing the individuals names and addresses. He also gets banner ads
> dynamically built into the pages according to his own user profile. Get it?
>
> I have been advised that Oracle is probably the best db software to use
> because of the size of db required and because Oracle is robust enough for
> the job. My questions then, are these:
>
> 1. Which Oracle products would you recommend? Would it be Oracle 8i and Web
> DB?

- 8i yes
- WebDB may have difficulties scaling to such a large number of users.

> 2. Which OS platform is preferable? Is NT stable enough, will it cope? Or,
> must it me Unix or Linux?

Depends on the load. The main reason Unix may be preferable is that if you do get a higher load that you expected, then (typically) a unix box can be scaled to more cpus, more memory etc etc.

> 3. For various reasons it may be that we ask a non-programmer to accomplish
> this task. That is, RTFM and get on with it. Is this feasible, or is it an
> impossible task for a mere mortal? I need to know this, since it may well be
> me who has to read the manuals and do the job.

Garbage-in = garbage out.

Get some training, and when you're closer to coding, get an expert in to review your design etc.

> Any advice would be very much appreciated. We have a large project on our
> hands and we want to be certain to start at the right place. It would be
> very helpful if replies could be e-mailed to me as well as sent to the
> group. Thanks.
>
> Paul

Answers inline...hth
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 03:44:16 CST