Re: Oracle process virtual memory management

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:37:46 +0800

hermans_at_excite.com wrote:

> The oracle background processes allocate virtual memory.
>
> Check out with the unix commandline :
>
> ps -ef -o vsz,user,user,comm | fgrep ora
>
> When the user starts a session via Sqlnet*V2 (LOCAL=NO) the virtual memory
> on the Unix server is more or less the same as the background process. Why ?
>
> Which parameters should I alter to influence (lower) the use of virtual
> memory on the unix server. Is it possible ?
>
> Are there any FAQ's about this oracle memory management issue.
>
> Yours Sincerely,
>
> Frank,

Be wary that many 'ps' commands include any shared memory in the amount of memory that each process uses.

So is you have (say) a 100Mb SGA, then each process will look very alarming in the process listing, reporting (say) 102Mb of memory...but in reality, you've consumed only a single 100Mb + 2m for that (and probably other) processes...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 03:37:46 CST