Re: Loading Data with Logic

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:45:41 +0100

You are aware you can perform calculations in SQL*Loader? Personally I would never load directly into 'real' tables, always in technical tables.
In 99 percent of all cases the data you get from external parties doesn't confirm to YOUR rules and you have to clean it out anyway. For me this means a technical table with NO constraints (except NOT NULL), which will load allways and a production table with everything into place. PL/SQL procedures can perform the logic fine, unless you have really vast quantities to load. In that case you should use anything supporting array fetches and array inserts. Pro*C will do this and more recent versions of PL/SQL (I believe 8i and higher)

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA