Re: SQL-SERVER vs. Oracle

From: <ajmayo_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:29:19 GMT

In article <5A3i4.39985$475.1036423_at_news4.giganews.com>,   "Mike Carter" <mike_at_delriotech.com> wrote:
> That's exactly my point. Oracle's GUI is useless.

[snip]
Well, worse than that. I had Oracle 8.0.5 up on NT4 on my other laptop and decided to download 8i for NT. Installed it and found that Schema manager, security manager etc. had disappeared. So I downloaded Oracle Enterprise Manager for 8i and installed that. The tools are there but no way can I get them to connect to my main Oracle instance.

In fact after installing OEM the Oracle TNS listener decided it wasn't willing to accept requests any more, so even ODBC connectivity failed. If I purge OEM and Oracle 8i, then just reinstall Oracle 8i, all is well, but then reinstalling OEM roaches it again. I am damned if I know what I am doing wrong but I am just doing a standard install. Why won't it work (and if Larry thinks this competes with SQL Server 7, may I beg to differ).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 09:29:19 CST