Re: Performance Issue over multiple processor server

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:22:41 GMT

--
They may be the "same kinda query" but if they are against two different tables on two different machines, you are compareing apples and oranges.

Exactly how do the queries differ? Saying they are the same "kind" of query suggests to me the aren't the *same* query. SELECT EMPID FROM EMP; and SELECT DEPT_ID FROM DEPT; are the same kind of query, but I wouldn't expect the same performance from them.

How do the tables differ? If one has block and row sizing that allows more rows per block than the other, then it different amounts of IO will be required to scan the same number of rows.

Indexing? Perhaps one query is able to use an index and the other requires a table scan.
What is the difference between the two machines you are running the queries on? Is on the host server and the other a remote workstation going over a slow network connection?

Read up on "autotrace", then use it on the two different queries and compare the results.

Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 07:22:41 CST