Deadlocks-a mystery

From: Mr. Straits <mr_straits_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:44:47 -0500

All,
We daily get over 5-6 deadlocks everyday and each of them are different. Our DBA forwards the trace file to me everyday. The trace file says that it is an application error and not an Oracle Error. After looking at the trace file, I can see what applications are contesting, but why do both the applications error out? My understanding is that when we get a deadlock, Oracle gives that 0054 error to only session and the other session should work normally.
As I wrote earlier, its not always the same two applications. The applications are way different and the tables getting locked are also different. We are using Oracle 7.3.4.
Any help on this is appreciated.
Straits. Received on Tue Jan 25 2000 - 20:44:47 CST