Re: DBWR Performance.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:31:22 -0000

There does seem to be a difference in 8.1 with writes to temporary tablespaces (as in create temporary tablespace...) I keep finding that the number of writes is less than I expect and haven't found a good explanation yet.

Correct - if redo small copies is large (in fact more than a few percent of redo entries) than you want to reduce log_small_entry_size.

When LGWR writes out the log buffer each write has to be padded to the nearest complete (redo) block. This is the redo wastage. The value is usually 'redo writes x half a block'. NB The redo block size is not (necessarily) the same as the Oracle block size, nor the underlying o/s block size.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk