Sizing internet application server

From: <bhanna2_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:36:30 GMT

Oracle Gurus:

My company is preparing to extend our Oracle 8 based data warehouse to an Intranet and eventually to our suppliers/customers through VPN. This is all lovely and modern and all that, but I am having a heck of a time getting any useful information out of Oracle on sizing the box that will run Oracle Application Server and WebDB. To make matters worse, I don't have any idea how many total or concurrent users we will have once it hits the Internet. Oh, and the best part is that the developer wants to use NT so he doesn't have to "learn" a new OS. In a nutshell, here's what I do know.

Applications: OAS, WebDB, some EJBs. This machine will be used to generate a variety of canned and ad hoc business reports with data pulled from our data warehouse. This is all POS data and the DBs are large (20-40 Gig).
Total users (SWAG): 300-400
Concurrent users (SWAG): 10-50
OS: NT (blargh!)

I'm looking for a recommendation on the # of processors (assume PIII 500s or equivelant), RAM size, and any other useful info anyone cares to offer. Also, I'm planning to do hardware RAID 1. I know it's wasteful, but the throughput totally whomps RAID 5.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Bill Hanna
Manco, Inc.

--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 25 2000 - 14:36:30 CST