Re: moving indexes to another machine

From: <bruce_szalwinski_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:11:38 GMT

You may want to look into Transportable Tablespaces. You can easily move tables and indexes between instances by essentially copying the associated data files (along with some metadata). You'll have to move the Index AND the associated table but I think you'll like it.

In article <86jsai$oo$1_at_violet.singnet.com.sg>,   "Eugene Ng" <eugeneng_at_asiansources.com> wrote:
> Okay I have this situation.
>
> I am using Oracle 8i (8.1.5)
> I have a machine which is to be constantly
online and is used as a datastore
> for searching
>
> Can I use another machine to re-index the
database on the online machine ?
> So that the online machine will not take any
cpu or memory when indexing.

> Samuel Shio
> -
> It is impossible to make anything foolproof
because fools are so ingenious.
> "Paul Jeynes" <jeynesp_at_postoffice.co.uk> wrote
in message

> > Although the indexes effectively have to be
recreated as others have
> stated,
> > the easiest way to do this is to get the
details from the source
> database's
> > data
> > dictionary via a db link. Interrogate the
ALL_INDEXES (or USER_INDEXES)
> > view to
> > determine the indexes available, then get all
the columns in each index
> via
> > ALL_IND_COLUMNS.
> >
> > Then it's straightforward to generate the
CREATE INDEX statement and
> execute
> > it
> > on the target database using dynamic SQL.
> >
> > If you'd like the source code for this, email
me directly.

> > Eugene Ng wrote in message

<86it7s$9vh$1_at_clematis.singnet.com.sg>...
> > >Hi, I was wondering if any of you can help
me out.

> > >Is there any way that we can index a table
on one machine, and then move
> or
> > >copy the index to another machine which has
the same table ?

> > >If so, how can we do that ??
> > >
> > >Thanks !

> > >Samuel Shio
> > >Global Sources

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 25 2000 - 08:11:38 CST