Re: moving indexes to another machine

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:52:52 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Eugene Ng" <eugeneng_at_asiansources.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:03:15 +0800, you wrote:

>Okay I have this situation.
>
>I am using Oracle 8i (8.1.5)
>I have a machine which is to be constantly online and is used as a datastore
>for searching
>
>Can I use another machine to re-index the database on the online machine ?
>So that the online machine will not take any cpu or memory when indexing.

Yes and No....

In general, no, the indexing process is done by the database engine. In a standard configuration -- you have one instance mounting a single database. the indexing would take place on the machine the database instance is running on. It should be noted that the index may be built 'online' which allows for full read/write access to the base tables (you would have full read access if you do not do this online).

Under Oracle Parallel Server, yes. You have >1 instance that mounts and opens the same database (set of files). One instance can index, the other does other stuff.

>Samuel Shio
>-
>It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
>"Paul Jeynes" <jeynesp_at_postoffice.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Although the indexes effectively have to be recreated as others have
>stated,
>> the easiest way to do this is to get the details from the source
>database's
>> data
>> dictionary via a db link. Interrogate the ALL_INDEXES (or USER_INDEXES)
>> view to
>> determine the indexes available, then get all the columns in each index
>via
>> ALL_IND_COLUMNS.
>>
>> Then it's straightforward to generate the CREATE INDEX statement and
>execute
>> it
>> on the target database using dynamic SQL.
>>
>> If you'd like the source code for this, email me directly.
>>
>> Eugene Ng wrote in message <86it7s$9vh$1_at_clematis.singnet.com.sg>...
>> >Hi, I was wondering if any of you can help me out.
>> >
>> >Is there any way that we can index a table on one machine, and then move
>or
>> >copy the index to another machine which has the same table ?
>> >
>> >If so, how can we do that ??
>> >
>> >Thanks !

>> >Samuel Shio
>> >Global Sources

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Jan 25 2000 - 07:52:52 CST