Re: SQL vs. Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:43:51 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:42:05 GMT, qIroS <qIroS_at_tlhIngan.co.uk> wrote:

>>>7 is easier to admin. The performance advantage that Oracle had over 6.5
>>>are GONE in 7 (on nt and I believe close in UNIX terms).
>>>

>>Which patch of SQL Server 7 runs on UNIX?
>>

>I think the poster may have been claiming that SQL Server 7
>performance on NT is close to the Oracle performance on UNIX.

Dunno. I can't for the life of me even fathom how does one compare the performance of SS7 on NT as being close to O8 on Unix. Based on what? Same CPU? Same I/O configuration? Same memory? Or just marketing hype?
Hence the question, to which I believe I should have added a traditional <d&r> or something like that to emphasize the inconsistency of the comparison parameters.

:-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam