Re: ORA-00600 problem with restored backups

From: <decompton_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:40:53 GMT

In article <86hrr0$apc$1_at_hume.nmia.com>,   greg_at_nmia.com (Gregory Riggs) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to verify that we can restore our production database
from our
> nightly hot backup tapes. We have Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.1
running on
> OpenVMS VAX V7.1, which is nolonger supported by Oracle, but due to
the legacy
> software we are using, we can not upgrade Oracle.
>
> When we load the database from tape onto a different, but identically
> configured VAX (the same version Oracle and OpenVMS), the database
mounts,
> recovers, and opens without any errors. However, when we try and
select from
> some of the tables we get the following Oracle error:
>
> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM <some_table>;
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-00081: address range [1024, 5120) is not readable
> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [4146], [225], [222], [],
[], [],
> [], []
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what this error might indicate or
suggestions of
> something we could try?
>
> The database is needed 24 hours/day, so each night we make a hot
backup of the
> database to tape. We put all the table spaces into backup mode with
"ALTER
> TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> BEGIN BACKUP;" before backing up the
data files
> '*.DBS' , redo log files '*.RDO', and control files '*.CON'. After
this, we
> then take all table spaces out of backup mode with "ALTER TABLESPACE
> <tablespace_name> END BACKUP;", issue "ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE;",
and then
> backup all the arhcive files '*.ARC' since the previous night's hot
backup. To
> restore the database, we restore the backed up files to the other
server, and
> issue "STARTUP MOUNT <name>;", "RECOVER DATABASE;", and "ALTER
DATABASE OPEN;"

> We've tried restoring the database from about a weeks worth of
nightly backup
> tapes, but always get the same internal error code problem.
>
> Thanks in Advance!
> Greg Riggs
> greg_at_nmia.com

You have a couple of errors in how you backup. First, to backup a controlfile you MUST issue the command:

alter database back controlfile to 'filedest';

Also, in a hot backup, you should not backup the online redo logs. They will be useless and possible corrupt.

thanks,

dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jan 24 2000 - 17:40:53 CST