Re: Programmatically obtaining IP Address

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:30:41 -0500

A copy of this was sent to granruth_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:55:04 GMT, you wrote:

>We are using Oracle 8i and Oracle Forms 6.0. Is there a way to obtain
>the IP Address of the machine that Oracle Forms is running on via an
>Oracle function, etc...?
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

As long as they use "user/pass_at_DATABASE" to connect (and sqlnet for tcp/ip) -- yes.

$ sqlplus scott/tiger_at_ora8idev

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on Mon Jan 24 14:28:47 2000 (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning and Java options
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production

scott_at_dev8i> select sys_context( 'userenv', 'ip_address' ) from dual;

SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','IP_ADDRESS')

138.2.5.52

NOTE: sys_context is available with 8i release 8.1 and later. In 8.0 and before you can enable connecting auditing to achieve a similar effect without the sys_context function.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jan 24 2000 - 13:30:41 CST