Re: Replication Blobs in 8.1.5

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:49:33 -0800

In 8.1.5 you can replicate LOB's but not longs. Straight from the 8.1.5 replication manual:

"Multimaster replication supports the replication of tables with columns that use the following datatypes: NUMBER, DATE, VARCHAR2, CHAR, NVARCHAR2, NCHAR, RAW, ROWID. Oracle also supports the replication of tables with columns that use the following large object types: binary LOBs (BLOBs), character LOBs (CLOBs), and national character LOBs (NCLOBs). The deferred and synchronous remote procedure call mechanism used for multiple master replication propagates only the piece-wise changes to the supported LOB datatypes when piece-wise updates and appends are applied to these LOB columns.

            Note:

            Oracle8i does not support replication of LOB datatypes in replication environments where some sites are running Oracle7 release 7.3.

Oracle does not support the replication of columns that use the LONG and LONG RAW datatypes. Oracle simply omits columns containing these datatypes from replicated tables.

Oracle also does not support user-defined object types and external or file-based LOBs (BFILEs). Attempts to configure tables containing columns of these datatypes as masters will return an error message."

HTH. Pete