Re: ### Web App Server Authentication ###

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:47:47 -0700

If you've already received this useless answer, I apologize. What you desire to do is possible in OAS 4. But it's been 2 years since I've used version 3, so I can't remember if the same OWA_SEC CUSTOM option was available there. The many Oracle authentication schemes based around Oracle accounts always got to me. What if I don't WANT to enter 3,000 corporate users in an OAS acl list, or as Oracle users? What if I want them to be able to self-register, change their passwords, store their passwords in my own system's user table that I built? What if I want to be able to track their interaction with my system and log them out after a period of inactivity, or allow them back in without reauthentication if their browser crashed? The built in schemes, including the CUSTOM option, couldn't address any of this. So we came up with our own user, security and session framework based off our own tables, PL/SQL, and non-persistent cookies.

I'm thinking others complained to Oracle about not wanting to implement security in the schemes they envisioned. What I've described above is being implemented in WebDB 3.0. They're calling it "lightweight" security so that an Oracle/OAS-based system can have millions of users if need be. Heard about this at OpenWorld '99. Haven't heard if they'll be extending this to OAS yet.

-best 'o luck,
bill c. (remove nullspm to reply)