Re: OCP Tuning Sample Question

From: Buck Turgidson <jcmanNOSPAM_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:42:47 -0500

I now see the doc says OPTIMIZER_MODE at the instance level, and OPTIMIZER_GOAL at the session level. But OPTIMIZER_MODE seems to work at the session level. As long as I know how to answer the question.....

SQL> alter session set optimizer_mode = choose;

Session altered.

SQL> select * from emp;

28 rows selected.

Execution Plan

   0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE (Cost=1 Card=28 Bytes=1176 )    1 0 TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'EMP' (Cost=1 Card=28 Bytes=1176)

Statistics

         38  recursive calls
          3  db block gets
         15  consistent gets
          2  physical reads
          0  redo size
       2379  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        441  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          9  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          0  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)
         28  rows processed

SQL> alter session set optimizer_mode = RULE;

Session altered.

SQL> select * from emp;

28 rows selected.

Execution Plan

   0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=RULE    1 0 TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'EMP' Statistics

          0  recursive calls
          3  db block gets
          6  consistent gets
          0  physical reads