Re: Coalescing? Anyone?

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:18:50 GMT

In article <86cift$ve1$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sandeep.singh_at_usa.net wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to coalesce a tablespace that has
> a fragmentation index of 21 (according to DB
> Artisan). The following command:
>
> ALTER TABLESPACE ${TBLSPACE_NAME} COALESCE;
>
> returns without errors but the fragmentation
> index remains unchanged. There are no objects
> in this tablespace -the space is 100% available
> so, why does it not coalesce?
>
> There are 6 raw devices (Veritas) in this
> particular tablespace and even proceeded to
> drop these raw devices and recreated them -
> but lo and behold -when I created the table
> space again, the fragmentation index was back
> to 21!
>
> How does one get a contiguous space out of this
> tablespace? Thanks in advance for taking the
> time to respond...
>
> Sandeep

If there are no objects in the tablespace then the alter tablespace x coalesce command should result in all free space being in one contiguous extent per data file in the tablespace. Is the tablespace made up of more than one file? If so then the size of the largest file minus the header block will be the size of your largest free extent in the tablespace and would explain what you are seeing.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Jan 22 2000 - 15:18:50 CST